Growing up my family had one steadfast Christmas tradition. On Christmas morning, before any gifts were opened we would listen to a tape of my Great Grandfather Arthur Alvin Septer,reading the Christmas story from the book of Luke.
I have to admit that as a child this sort of annoyed me. I was ready to tear into the presents and see what Santa brought me each year. As I grew up and also grew in my relationship with Christ the tradition took on more meaning.
Now, when my sisters, our husbands and our 5 going on 8 kids all meet at my parents house, we still listen to Grandpa Septer read the story. Still a cassette tape. His voice brings back memories. He passed away when I was in my early twenties. He was always telling stories and he loved Jesus. I am proud now to still have this tradition and to continue his legacy on to his growing number of great-great grandchildren.
Now when I listen to those words it brings tears to my eyes and my heart fills with the knowledge that God sent His Son as a little baby, to live a sinless life and die for all our sins.
Do you have any Christmas traditions from childhood that you still continue today?
Journey Mom
- Jamie
- I am a mother of two sweet girls and a wild, precious little boy, born in Korea. A wife of an awesome husband who happens to be my best friend in the world. My goal in life is to be used by God to bring Him glory. I am on a journey through this life to do just that, only with His help.
4 comments:
What a beautiful tradition. And memory!
We have a lot of traditions that I still do with my own kids. I've modified some to fit our family better, but some have stayed exactly the same. One favorite is actually the day after Christmas. The ladies of my family get up early and hit the sales. We stock up on next years wrapping paper and ribbon, and we always buy things for each other for the following years birthdays. We bring lots of goodies and snack as we go. It's a ton of fun!
That's so lovely! We always read the Christmas story out of Luke 2 and then everyone picks one Christmas carol to sing. I love traditions!
Jamie,
Just a quick note to thank you for the great stocking stuffers you sent me as part of the stocking swap! I particularly love the planner and the pumpkin bread mix (yum!). I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and holiday season.
Sincerely, Becky Irvine
(aka, scripturemom :)
Okay...so I know you've had this up for awhile...but I have really been trying to think about our traditions. I love yours...and that is so super special.
As I was buying chocolate covered cherries for my brothers, I realized THAT is our tradition. When we were kids, Dad would eat one and breathe on us. We'd be like...DAD! WHERE DID YOU GET THE CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRIES? He'd deny it for a bit...and then cave and share. Every Christmas I try to give my bros a box to remember Dad by.
Post a Comment