Today my balloon of being the perfect mom was burst. After subbing at preschool, Little Sis and I picked Big Sis up where she had been playing at a friend's house. We then headed to the big city to get two haircuts at our favorite kid cut place, Cookie Cutters. My two blond cuties looked mighty sweet after their trims. From there we headed to the Mall. In the parking lot the girls released the balloons they got a Cookie Cutter's (we have a rule about bringing latex balloons into the house, I can explain later if you wish) I talked them into this the first time by telling them they can make a wish and let the balloon go. Little Sis's wish was, "I wish I could go on a date with Daddy." Big Sis's wish was, " I wish we would get baby brother soon." I promise I didn't put her up to that.
Well, back to my balloon bursting...Big sis was wearing a sweater and had gotten hot on this wonderful spring day. She asked me to buy her a t-shirt. I did. Next I thought we would do some shopping. What a fun day for a mom and her girls. Not so much. Little Sis decided she was to tired to walk (we are past stroller days) and started to do that side stepping thing where she walks in front of me. I gave in and starting lugging her. We went to JC Penney where I thought we would get a cute pair of Bermuda shorts to match the shirt I had just bought for Big Sis. Of course, I couldn't find a matching pair in her size. The color we both liked was in the bigger girl sizes. I finally settled on a pair that I thought might work, but she said she didn't like them. I put the pair down and then she decided she wanted them after all. Whining Little Sis was sitting on the floor at this point and kicking her sister's feet. I debated on just giving in on the shorts and getting them. Big Sis was saying things like "You're being mean" "You never do nice things for me" and "You treat Little Sis like a princess and me like a baby." I was horrified and embarrassed. Now the two were having a kicking match. I grabbed both of their hands and began walking to the nearest exit. Little old ladies were tsk-tsking me as we walked past. I had one girl whining at me and the other one being disrespectful to me. I never thought this would happen in public. All I could do was walk, as quickly as possible to the van. When we got in I sat with my head in my hands and prayed. This is my best defense when I feel angry and out of control. Being calm was the last thing I wanted to do, but I started the van and drove home. Now the little blessings are playing happily in the backyard while the dog runs and the birds chirp. All is well. I don't know what evil creatures were with me at the mall but they are gone now. I am recovering and trying to remember not to believe Satan's lies that I am not a good mom. I want to try to seek God for all my help and not give the deceiver any room here. By the way, Big Sis will be having a long talk with her father and me.
Journey Mom
- Jamie
- I am a mother of two sweet girls and a wild, precious little boy, born in Korea. A wife of an awesome husband who happens to be my best friend in the world. My goal in life is to be used by God to bring Him glory. I am on a journey through this life to do just that, only with His help.
5 comments:
Oh Jamie, if I could have a dollar for every time I felt like a bad mom...well, you get the picture! You are NOT a bad mom, you are a FABULOUS mom. Sometimes children behave, well, like children. They don't always use the best judgement, and neither do adults, as you witnesed in the tsk tsking little old ladies. That really irks me. I actually told one of them the other day that I was sorry I was not as perfect as them! I felt a little bad (not a lot!) later, that I wasn't able to hold my tounge, but I still feel like these people need to remember what parenting is REALLY like. Just remember that we all have bad days, and that is just what it was, one bad day. When I see you with your girls they are always sweet and well behaved. And I love that you prayed in your car. I need to remember to pray more and yell less!
Jamie,
You are not a bad mom. I feel like a bad very time my kids misbehave. I am sorry that you had to experience this.
I agree with Shelley. You are a fantastic mom, and we all have those moments. Although it sounds like mine happen with more frequency than yours. You are not alone.
You did the right thing by praying. That is a beautiful answer.
Oh those days are the hardest. Sounds like you need something chocolate and a nice bubble bath. That should help!
You are a wonderful mom and you have great girls! We all just have bad days sometimes! Thanks for sharing from your heart!
Post a Comment