Journey Mom

My photo
I am a mother of two sweet girls and a wild, precious little boy, born in Korea. A wife of an awesome husband who happens to be my best friend in the world. My goal in life is to be used by God to bring Him glory. I am on a journey through this life to do just that, only with His help.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm okay.

I am sorry about my depressing post. I had some worried friends approaching me about that one. It's nice to be concerned about. I am doing okay. I have been up and running again with a lot of research (mostly online) I have also signed Josh and I up for a seminar later in the month.

Josh is out of town for two weeks. That makes for a fun time for Mom. Big sis doesn't like to do her homework and when Josh is gone it seems to get really worse. We struggle every evening. Does anyone have any ideas to get my first-grader excited about homework?

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Jamie,

I have had to resort to bribing my son. We set a timer for the time it should take him to do it. If he completes it in that time frame he gets a piece of candy. I know this is probably don't the best way to do it but I was at the end of my rope with him and homework.

Alana said...

Brenda's idea is not a bad one. Only there should definitely be a piece for Mommy, too. Preferably chocolate!

Anonymous said...

If JP has a bad attitude about doing the homework he loses priveleges like tv, video games, and playing outside.

We also don't do it immediately afterschool, he needs a little down time to veg and eat.

Shelley said...

Oh Jamie, I wish I had good advice, but I don't. However, I actually like Brenda's idea. And Alana's!

Janelle said...

We have to do homework immediately, because if we wait Z has a hard time getting motivated again. I like knowing that it is out of the way.

We struggled a ton at the beginning of the year. I set the timer and made it a race to beat. That usually worked. But I did have one time where he refused. We talked about the choice he was making to refuse to do his work. I told him that he would have to take it back to school incomplete and suffer the teachers consequences. I emailed her and told her what I was doing and she had my permission to punish accordingly.

That was hard, but it worked. Homework hasn't been a struggle since. Hopefully, you won't have to resort to anything that drastic.

Maybe she can earn some phone time with daddy if she cooperates.

michelle said...

What about setting aside time to work on homework with her. She might like getting Mommy's attention to herself.

Kara said...

Jamie - I found your blog by way of Alana's and wanted to shoot you a note. I live in Missouri too (for now.....we are moving to Indiana) and I am also an adoptive mother who is in the process of waiting for my second child to come to me through adoption. I know the struggles that this journey can take. I am a good listener if you ever need an ear in cyber space or to ask any questions. Feel free to check out my blog at me-moddy.blogspot.com. I will pray your baby boy to come to you soon.

Kara said...

Jamie - Got your comment. Feel free to email offline so we can talk "adoption stuff" if you would like. My email is karamak@cebridge.net. Would love the chance to encourage each other. It's a uniquely nerve-wracking (seriously nerve-wracking) and wonderful road.